Thursday, October 24, 2013

Getting Inspired--Where to Find Theme Party Inspiration

One of the questions I most frequently get asked  (about parties, not in general) is where I get my party inspiration. (In general I get asked "how are you?" the most. It's usually rhetorical.) I have tried to share some of thought process with inspiration spotting posts, but the real point of those posts is that inspiration is everywhere. Find something cool, and by cool I mean something you like, then find a way to incorporate it into the party. 
Death Star lantern via Pinterest and HWTM
Often times, the thing that inspires me will not even end up being the central theme. For example, I threw a fancy cocktail party because I wanted a cocktail party to show off my bar. The inspiration for the Clue party came over a year ago, when my former roommates moved into an apartment with a very large number of rooms--I thought it would be perfect for the rooms of a Clue board. 


Maybe you have a new pair of amazing go go boots. Throw a swinging 60s party. Maybe you saw a Death Star hanging lantern tutorial on Pinterest. Throw a Star Wars party. Maybe you have too much gin leftover from a twenties party. Throw a James Bond party with shaken martinis. The trick is to use the party as an excuse for something you want to do anyway, or center it around something you are already excited about. 


You can also jot down party ideas when they strike you. Then the next time a party occasion rolls around, you can see that hey, you were thinking of throwing a howl at the moon party because you saw a great mooncake recipe.
Or, um, you can come to my blog and do ideas I've already done. That works too. I won't even tell on you. (Although I would love to hear about them). 

6 comments:

  1. Often my inspiration is something I want to wear. The time I wanted an excuse to wear my top hat, I threw a cross-dressing Valentine's Day party, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something to wear is a great inspiration, especially when one has an excellent item like a top hat to wear.

      Delete
  2. I do love saving up party ideas. It's nice to just have a bunch in your back pocket: clue, capes and corsets, etc. That way, when you have an occasion you can filter it out by audience... yes, I totally will invite my work friends to a clue party. Capes and Corsets... I'll save that for the friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do tend to have an excellent stockpile. But you are also great at coming up with themes on the fly.

      Delete
  3. I also wanted a party to show off my new bar. Now I want a party to show off my new stereo. Help wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you and/or your husband were the sort of people who are very into music, you could have a party with some good music to listen to and the stereo as the focal piece. You could pick music from a specific era and style, like Motown, Doo Wop, or Disco, and create a playlist and give people the option of dressing up.

      Delete