Thursday, November 7, 2013

Other People's Parties (You Down with OPP?)

So, I get invited to some pretty amazing parties--that's just a small sampling, and I have a great scotch tasting party to tell you about sometime soon.

Me at someone else's party. More on this below. 


But sometimes, my friends go to amazing parties and I am not invited. This is because, it turns out, sometimes my friends have other friends I don't even know. And they let a little thing like having no idea who I am stop them from inviting me to their parties.

[side note: In all seriousness I am very understanding of not being invited to every party ever, even those hosted by people I know. To paraphrase a brilliant friend, hearts are big, spaces and budgets often are not.]

But I love hearing about these parties anyway! 

And I thought other people might to. So if anyone wants to do a guest post OR be interviewed by me about an awesome party they went to, please let me know. 

~

Sometimes I get invited to the party even though I don't really know the host. One time I got invited to a Halloween/birthday party as a guest of a guest, basically because it was Muppet themed. My friend and I went as Bunsen and Beaker and I won a prize for best Beaker at the party. (There were 3 of us). It was an amazing party, and I did eventually become good friends with the host. But not that night, because I dealt with feeling awkward by talking in character for the first half of the party, so pretty much entirely in meeps. Yup, I am so cool. You wish you were me.  

The photo is me as Beaker. Photo by VermilionInk, who I also wasn't friends with yet! Hair expert Ali of Tag Sale Style made my uncooperative hair stand up with most of a bottle of hairspray, an entire bottle of orange hair spray, and 1 million bobby pins.

8 comments:

  1. I recognize that Bunsen! I love a large green head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very excellent Bunsen indeed. And despite there being three Beakers, the only Bunsen.

      Delete
  2. You made a great Beaker. I would be happy to be interviewed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will email you to set that up.

      Delete
  3. I love the costume. How creative! It looks like you were having a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really did. And a lot of costume credit goes to Ali for the Herculean effort on my hair.

      Delete
  4. Hey, remember that times crashed a certain previous commenter's party? #nothingawkwardaboutthat #whyamitalkinginlongstringsofhashtags?

    A post on how to be awesome when you do find yourself at a party to which you were not invited would not be amiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you are just the person to write, or help write, such a post? Since you have experience with these things. #SeeWhatIDidThere

      Delete